Enjoy some Mayhem & Magic!
Our blog is meant to evoke fun with the magic of myths, folklore, movies and the mayhem of murder and madness. We have to keep it interesting so if you like different genres of movies and books then you're at the right blog. Our authors are a wide range of experts and our readers know what is top of the line in their favorite genres. Sometimes we post recipes that might be fun to try if a culinary author has one in her book that we think is especially yummy or one that Terri and I have created and want to share with you. Enjoy Guest Blogger Alice Duncan's monthly muse on her books and writing mysteries.
Plus you won't want to miss our book reviews, author interviews or our guest bloggers. So grab your favorite beverage then join us for some magic and mayhem! The good news is that you don't have to leave the house or your comfy chair. We have something for everyone's taste and every month we have a different topic for our bloggers: ones we feel that might be useful in your own writing and reader points of view. Not to mention, life in general. So join us and be sure to have a notebook handy as your to-be-read pile will grow as you add books, recipes, movies and t.v. series you won't want to miss. Not to mention folktales, myths or ideas you may wish to explore. Be careful what you wish for because on mayhemandmagic2 you just might find it.
Tuesday, May 31, 2016
We didn't do anything productive on our three day weekend. I mean yes a few things were accomplished but not the things that should have been done.
I did finish reading a book. Yep just one book over three days.
I did cross stitch and i texted with friends.
Frank made some wonderful meals.
Today however is quite different. I actually do have to dye my hair, it's going to rain all day and overnight. It feels like Monday instead of Tuesday which is bound to throw me off all day.
I haven't been up but an hour and feel like I need a nap. What is on my to-do list is are these things.
1. Library trip (which won't happen because the library hours changed and they are not open after five on Tuesdays. Refer to above that I will think it's Monday all day) also with the rain and storms I won't be driving in it.
2. Clean up my closet (maybe)?
3. Post reviews (a better chance of this and post blog see current finger typing)
4. Put something in the crockpot for supper? (probably will happen) which means chilidogs or some such nonsense.
5. Walk dog (see above rain she won't go outside and well she is smarter than her owners) but eventually she will have to go...
6. Dishes are done at least to begin with so it will be not so hard to deal with the kitchen today.
7. Keep an eye on the weather (we live in tornado alley) and so this is a must do for all day.
8. A good day to start to organize my books (this is one I am looking forward to and is long overdue)
9. Talk to my daughter it's been days so that must happen.
10. I will write on my book today which this should have been number one but I need more coffee.
11. Read, read read...
12. Stitch stitch stitch
After all of this is anybody's guess....
First thing before my to-do list is coffee. Do you have a routine you follow in the mornings? Is it hard for you to catch up after a long weekend or holiday?
What books should I go to the library this week and put in a request for to read?
Tuesday, May 24, 2016
Hannah is also going to New York City for the food Channel's Dessert Competition. This is all very exciting and when Ross can join her in New York City she can't think of anything fulfilling and wonderful to happen to her. What's even better is that her little sister Michelle will be joining her as her assistant in the competition.
To top all of this off Hannah's Aunt Nancy knows one of the judges and is quick to give Hannah and Michelle the inside scoop on what he likes and doesn't like in the food and presentation.
Better yet Mike and Norman like Ross and have known him as long as Hannah has known Ross Moishe her cat even loves Ross although everyone knows that Moishe also loves Norman and his cat.
Life couldn't be sweeter and Hannah is finally happy to take her slice of life and happiness.
However sooner rather than later the judge and Chef Hannah was happy to get kudos from is murdered. Michelle finds the body and Hannah knows on many levels and for many reasons she has to solve this murder.
She doesn't want her honeymoon haunted by nightmares and visions of murder.
Everyone in Lake Eden Minnesota knows Hannah can win the competition and solve the murder. She doesn't know how but Hannah is a multitasker and will find a way to solve the murder and whip wonderful desserts.
Did I mention the shows, the wedding and Lake Eden is being taped live?
There is not room for anything to go wrong/.
At least Hannah doesn't have to worry about the wedding, her mother, other sister Andrea, Lisa her business partner and a few close friends are seeing to the wedding. Hannah does have to try on wedding dresses and make time to follow the scent of murder.
I have to say this is a very fun book in the series to read. this has been the book I have waited on and it doesn't disappoint anyone.
So many fun tidbits and I love Hannah's clothes.
If you want a cozy to fit the month of June, a wedding mystery and a culinary delight of a book you can't miss reading this book.
The recipes are to die for and I have to say I am going to try to make a couple of these no fail recipes.
Joanne Fluke knows how to keep me turning the page on murder, mayhem and family.
Reviewed by Pamela James
Library copy --hardback.
Friday, May 20, 2016
Thursday, May 19, 2016
This week is "Power Week set in Washington DC" and I thought last week was good with the teachers week. It was also in DC but I digress this week we have had a riot a minute and a lot of knowledge has been passed around.
First we have had Anderson Cooper let me tell you he is so much fun. We have had Louie CK who by the way won last night on the show. There have been CNN Morning Show Hosts, Washington Post Reporters and the ex-republican party chairman etc... that is glad he is the ex-party head.
If you have a teen you should watch this with them. It will be fodder for many discussions and open doors for around the breakfast or supper table.
The categories wonderful there is history, politics, books, novelist, vintage movie characters and movie titles. Science, Math, History, English and Literature. More topics than I have the memory to mention.
Please DVR it or tune in because you won't be sorry and Alex has been thrown in his reaction a few times this week.
Such as when he asked a sports question and one of the contestants said "No we don't do sports, we are the geeks." It was great because she meant it and none of the three knew the answer. Which by the way was Came Newton.
1. WDDING CAKE MURDER by Joanne Fluke and this is the book I have been waiting to read. I am not done with the book but the premise is that Hannah is getting married, going to be in a food channel network contest and a whole host of other things are happening it really is a page-turner.
2. THE LAST GOODBYE by Reed Arvin this one is a mainstream legal thriller. I haven't cracked the spine on this one must read faster this week.
3. OFFER OF PROOF by Robert Heilbrun and this is another legal thriller and I have not read it yet....
4. READING UP a STORM by Eva Gates and I am busy reading this one in the library lighthouse series. I love this book and since tornado and storm season is upon us in Kansas this book in the series fits right in with my mood and weather. Not finished with the book but should finish it this week.
5. HOME BY NIGHTFALL BY Charles Finch this is an historical mystery series to die for...and there are not one but two mysteries to solve. one in London and one in the country and a small village so needless to say besides a huge case there is another case that is also turning bigger by the minute. 1876 is going to be a big year for murder just ask Charles Lenox.
I have bought a few other books from the library table but I am giving those as gifts for Birthday and Christmas which means I can't say anything because the person I will give them to is on our blog.
I hope you will add the books I listed to your to-be-read list as I can't believe I hit the jackpot.
Wednesday, May 18, 2016
Wednesday, May 11, 2016
Her disorder makes it challenging for her in her work and personal life but also makes for an interesting story.
I liked the complexity of the mystery and the characters.
One of the things I found really annoying, was her going on the talk show circuit with her theories and stories and then wondering why the DA was so upset. She also had a childish tantrum when the DA demanded her diaries, but since she had been writing down her conversations with the alleged killer every day, that seems obvious that they would be considered evidence.
Who knows, maybe he was the guy but this book didn't prove it.
On a positive note, it was a very quick read!
Tuesday, May 10, 2016
Monday, May 9, 2016
I see it didn't show where I thought I posted the last blog "R.I.P. Jim Lavene Blog. My apology for this and I will fix it later.
This morning I wanted to wish you a good morning.
We are going having rain and the storms will be back this morning. Hopefully I m able to get back on here today and tonight. I am not finished with blog posts.
I am reading Mrs. Jefferies Wins The Prize by Emily Brightwell. I am also reading a Monica Ferris book it's in the other room or I would know the title. I know it's main topic is about a hoarder whose house has a tree that fell on it.
Last night I read, colored and stitched. Actually I stitched all weekend.
Mother's Day I watched HOLMES this has Laura Linney in it. Very touching.
I watched actually re-watched Holmes & Houdini this is a fun series.
Sunday night: Call The Midwife, Wallander and Elementary.
Back to my Vanilla Carmel Coffee.
I will rate them by number but no real reviews as I just wanted to blog about my list of books. 10 being the highest and 1 being the lowest. I am still learning how to post the book covers or I would post them to this blog.
1. What the Cat Saw by Carolyn G. Hart I give this one a 9
2. Anything For A Story by Cynthia Hickey I loved this one and give it a 10.
3. Murder She Typed by Sylvia Selfman I really enjoyed this book. I rated it a 10
4. A Corpse In A Teacup by Cassie Page I rated this one a 10
5. Armoires and Arsenic by Cassie page I rate this one a 9.
6. Antique Roadkill: A Trash and Trailer Mystery by Barbara Allen. Rating is 9 I really laughed a lot.
7. Seaside Secrets (A Dune House Cozy Mystery) by Cindy Bell absolutely loved it and if I could give it a rating higher than a 10 I would but 10 it is tonight.
8. A Novel Way To Die by Ali Brandon this is a great read. I give it a 9
9. Guide Book to Murder ( A Tourist Trap Mystery Series) by Lynn Cahoon who is a gifted author. Her series is truly amazing. Rating is a 10.
10. Mission To Murder (A Tourist Trap Mystery Series) again this author is remarkable. Another 10 rating.
11. Murder on The Page by Kennedy Chase love, love and love this series. I give this one a 10.
12. Murder On the Hill by Kennedy Chase another fun mystery series. This one is also rated 10.
13. Hilda Hopkins Murder She knit by Vivienne Fagan This is a must read for any cozy author. I give it a 10.
14. Another Murder In The Inn by Barbara Fox I give this one a 8 it's very good and well written.
15. Edited For Death by Michele Drier This is a great mystery and you will enjoy every page. I give it a 10
16. The Invisible Code: A Peculiar Crimes unit Series Mystery by Christopher Fowler: What a talented author whose mystery series and characters go beyond books and time. This is one of the best series I have ever read. The plot is intricate, Bryant and May are characters you will not soon forget. I want to call these historical crime but they are also modern each book in the series is absolutely engrossing and what a page turner series. I have never read any other series that made me NOT worry about page count. This one I give up sleep for so yes if I could give this series a 20 I would. 10 it is and I really think his books should be taught in writing classes.
17. Archie Meets Nero Wolfe by Robert Goldsborough. This tell us how Archie came to work for Nero and is highly entertaining it also clears up some questions on both men. I give this one a 9 out of 10.
18. Cocaine Blues: By Phryne Fisher Mystery Book Series by Kerry Greenwood. This one is a wonderful series setting is 1920's and she is a sleuth/detective. Set in Australia there are movies made based on the series. I love all the characters, costumes and plots.
19. Dying To get Published by Judy Fitzwater. I read this series for the first time years ago and loved it. I was crushed when there wasn't anymore of them but I hear they are back now. I have this one on my kindle and if you want to have cozy fun then enjoy the this series and wait for the new ones.
I give it 10 out of 10.
Okay more on the kindle read tomorrow night.
Wednesday, May 4, 2016
The movies are the series I might binge watch or retro movies I have watched in the past month.
Also there are current reads that I am have been reading.
The HANGMAN'S ROW ENQUIRY by ANN PURSER. This is one of my current reads. So far I love this book. Retired is not for everyone. A group of the older generation start their own inquiry detective agency.
The group is so much fun. I am giving this one a 8 out of 10 because I haven't finished reading this fine mystery.
MRS. JEFFERIES WINS THE PRIZE by EMILY BRIGHTWELL I love this series. I admit some books might be better than other but you won't find a lemon in the bunch. So far this is one of the better books.
This is about a local garden club members. Some of the ladies meet to comparer orchids and in the conservatory there is found a dead body.
MRS. JEFFERIES is her group of behind the scenes helpers are once again drawn to murder.
They would do anything for their employer. Inspector Witherspoon has no idea how much his household helps in the investigations. Just the way the help likes it and so this murder is challenging but the household and a couple of friends rise to the occasion. So far this is 10 out of 10. I am more than halfway thru and do not look for this top change.
TESSED TO KILL by LILA DARE. This is a southern mystery with heart and great characters you won't soon forget. Grace knows her way around hair, style, cuts and much more. So does her mother and lately they also know their way around murder.
That is solving murders. Lila Dare is a wonderful author who know how to cozy write a mystery. Don't miss why I kept turning the pages.
This one is 10 out 0f 10.
Movies I have watched this past month.
A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN this retro and stars Tom Hanks and Gina Davis. This one rates 10 out of 10.
MY GIRL I love this movie as it is one that my daughter and I watched for years and dubbed our movie right down to the song. It is also retro and is of course 10 out of 10.
HOCUS POCUS I watch this one a couple of times a year. Always a family favorite and I still laugh at this movie. Love Bette Midler and of course her song. I love it when the one witch rides the vacuum cleaner.
10 out of 10.
TOPPER RETURNS Again this is vintage but I can so relax by these movies. 10 out of 10 it's kind of screwball comedy but I love it. Cary Grant is a lo of fun.
Series I watched or binged on this past month.
NERO WOLFE: A&E SERIES that is retro. I binged on these this past week and my am happy that my library could get them for me interlibrary loan. Definitely 10 out of 10.
CRIMINAL MINDS BEYOND BORDERS: Now I take this series one at a time. They go up and down and I just don't feel this series but I want to like it. I give it a 6 out of 10.
CASTLE: I loved this series until found out all of the behind the scenes drama. What I mean is it's going to cable and they did not invite Stana back well that's it for me. I don't the whole idea and will not continue watching this series. They lost a viewer and switching days also did not help but its not the main reason. So what once was a 10 out of 10 is now a big fat zilch.
NEW TRICKS: I binged clear up to the last season but there will be no more NEW TRICKS I loved this series. 10 out of 10.
ELEMENTARY : I LOVE Johnnie Lee Miller and the I always enjoy this series. However this season I am a little tired of the plot line. I give it an 8 out of 10.
For tonight I am going to stop here. Mostly because it's getting late. I will return tomorrow night with more movies, books, series, author and just plain fun.
|Missing is FREE through May 7|
Missing -- Link to Amazon