Thursday, May 13, 2010

An Interview with Cross Stitcher Gail Jones


Gail when did you first learn to cross stitch and how many years have you been stitching?
  I learned to cross stitch when I was 14.  I have been stitching for 35 years.
Tell us a little about your family life and tell us what rewards cross stitch has brought to you?
 
I have been married for 25 years to my best friend and soul mate.  We have three kids ages 13, 19 and 21. They all love Jesus. Cross stitch is very relaxing for me.  Both designing cross stitch patterns and stitching are my creative outlet. I love playing with colors!  Being on multiple cross stitch chat sites allows me to share my love of Jesus Christ with others as well make some wonderful friends.   
Do you model stitch or have you won any awards from your cross stitching? Do you create your own designs?

I do not model stitch, nor have I won any awards.  I do design many of my own patterns however, and started doing that in college when I got bored between classes.  I probably have close to sixty or seventy patterns now that I have created in the last five years or so using Pattern Maker Professional.
Tell us what designers are among your favorite designers?
I like complex and detailed patterns with lots of bright colors. Besides stitching some of my own, I enjoy geometrics like Chatelaine patterns. or Ink Circles etc. I also like Eva Rosenstand, Silver Lining and any other realistic nature design which includes birds, butterflies, moths, tropical fish and flowers, etc.
What type of fabric do you stitch on and do you have some favorite colors of fabrics that you use?
 
I'll stitch on any cross stitch fabric if the color catches my eye.  I especially love the over dyes in any color that doesn't overpower the pattern I am stitching.

Do you go to any stitching retreats, trunk shows, state fairs, or gather with friends to cros stitch?
 
I did do this a bit awhile back with a Southern California group, but the group meetings were inconvenient to get to very often because of how far away they were for me.  None of my friends who live nearby, cross stitch.
What brands of floss do you use in cross stitching?
 
Dinky Dyes, Carries Creations, DMC, Krienik, Sulky, and whatever silks come in my Chatelaine kits.

What are some speciality stitches that you use in your stitching?
 
Whatever my current Chatelaine pattern calls for and the running back stitch used in black work.


What are some of the themes you like to stitch?
 
Geometric designs or nature themed patterns are my favorites.

Do you charity stitch?
No

When not stitching what can we find you doing in your spare time?
 
Designing cross stitch patterns on the computer, drawing, reading, playing video games, hiking, fishing, target shooting.  (A lot of the outdoor activities are done with my whole family)
Do you have some favorite movies, t.v. shows, books, and places to visit that you would like to share with us?
 
I like old TV shows that are crime dramas from the seventies, old musicals from Rogers and Hammerstein, old romance movies, and current programs like "The Hal Lindsey Report,"  and "Creation for the 21st Century."  My favorite books include The "Left Behind" series, Sci Fi Christian books by Frank Perretti and Christian romance novels by Lori Wick, Janette Oke and several others I can't remember.
On a more culinary front what is your favorite meal, dessert and places to eat away from home?
 

My favorite meal would either include Barbequed steak or Mexican food.  I like to eat at "Claim Jumper" which is a fancy restaurant in our area.  I also like to eat at Rosa Maria's which is a Mexican fast food place in our area.
In closing tell us why you love stitching?
 
I like stitching because I can come up with my own design or tweak some one elses for my own stitching pleasure, and just play with colors and shading.  I also love the friendships I am able to make.

1 comment:

  1. Gail,
    I love your pictures of the birds. Thank you for doing the interview with us today. You're such a special person and it was a delight to be able to feature your interview and cross stitch pictures.
    Hugs,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete

Review: Blotto, Twinks and the Intimate Review by Simon Brett

Blotto and his friend go see  Light and Frothy;   a new popular show and his friend falls for the star of the show.  After his friend is k...