Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Washington Ballet's The Great Gatsby at the Kennedy Center

I really enjoyed this performance.  I think it is a story that translates very well to Ballet.  And thanks to a generous doantion, TWB now has live music again - which was great.  I do enjoy good jazz after all.The costumes of course I loved as well - fringe, sequins, handkerchief hemlines.  How can they not be fun?

The dancers were great, particularly those who played Daisy, Myrtle and Gatsby.  The props and sets were often whimsical and often just plain lovely.  The jazz soloists were incredible and except for a couple moments I just didnt get (dancing with curtain only lifted to about the knees and a GREAT but to me not revelevant to the story tap dance), the dancing highly emotional and evocative.

I walked away from the performance in an upbeat mood feeling satisfied. Too bad the show had such a short run - because I really would recommend everyone to go see it.

Terri

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had the opportunity to see it. This has long been a favorite book of mine and I will bet that it was wonderful set to live music. I'm so glad that you got to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Review: Blotto, Twinks and the Intimate Review by Simon Brett

Blotto and his friend go see  Light and Frothy;   a new popular show and his friend falls for the star of the show.  After his friend is k...