Tuesday, February 25, 2014

An Interview with Michele Sayetta of Heaven and Earth Designs


MM2: Michele,  how do you come up with the ideas for your designs?

I have a 35 year history in computer programming and I wanted to come up with a way to provide cross stitch charts of images that were of very high quality.  I worked on development for about a year and then refined the process and we now have a wonderful process that allows us to provide the highest quality cross designs converted from images.

MM2: On the average how long does it take for you to design your cross stitch patterns?

It can range from 2 to 40 hours depending on the size.

MM2: Your art is so beautiful and tells a story. Can you tell us about how important fabric, floss, color and size is for your patterns?

We design for 25ct but have found that a lot of folks prefer 28ct and our designs lend themselves well to all counts, even 14ct without pixilation.  Size is really dependent on the detail of the subject, the more detail the larger the chart.

MM2: Do you have some design advice for someone who might want to design cross stitch professionally?

Love what you do and do your homework.  Designing for conversion is very different compared to traditional design work and when converting artwork you need to very familiar with RGB values and color saturation etc, this is what makes our designs unique and provides the depth and shading that cannot ever be accomplished with a computer generated design.

MM2: How many of your projects have you cross stitched?

I have completed one design and test stitched hundreds

MM2: Do you have a favorite cross stitch piece ? One that is more sentimental than the others?

Lady in the Meadow by Kinuko Craft.  It was a poster that my Mother had given me when I was in my teens and remains my favorite although it is now retired.

MM2: Are you currently designing a project?

I am designing each and every day 7 days a week.

MM2: Give us a little background on you, the designer, the friend and of course how Heaven and Earth Designs came about for you?

My Grandmother had taught me to stitch and I first learned Hardanger and then went on to cross stitch.  I completed my first sampler when I was 10 and I have completed hundreds of designs since then.  I continued stitching through the years and my programming background is what led me to develop a process and thus Heaven and Earth was born.  I have an artistic background with my Mother being an accomplished painter and I have done all kinds of technical types of crafts and currently a glass artist as well in which my beads are used for needlework tools.  I also weave, silversmith, do stained glass and jewelry design.

MM2: Is there someone you would like to thank ?

My husband for his patience and his perseverance with my tendency to be picky and stubborn.  My customers of whom are family as well, without each and every person that stitches our designs we would not be here.  Every stitch placed in one of our designs is a legacy for the family of the stitcher, the stitcher and us as the time spent to stitch our designs is immense and it is quite humbling.  I must also thank our artists, without them the world would be a very different place.  The honor of stepping into a canvas and recreating it with needle and thread just cannot be described in words.

MM2: In closing is there a future design you want to share with us?

I don’t share anything that I am currently working on but I will say that I am working on the next bookshelf by Aimee Stewart.

MM2: Last but never least why do you think your designs touch our souls?

I believe that is not the designing but the artwork that speaks to people and for that we thank our artists.  To stitch something that speaks to someone and see it come to life is an experience that cannot be compared.  I have hundreds of stories from folks on why they have stitched a certain piece, for a parent that has passed, a child that has passed, marriages, life celebrations, life hurdles, medical issues, triumphs in human nature of all sorts.

Michele, If you wish please add a picture of you and a few of your designs with the interview.


I have attached a few here for you.


Thank you so much for the interview. I am so excited and if I have left anything out please feel free to add any questions and answers that you wish. 

New Charts For February

Glowing Dreams
Glowing Dreams
Starting at $19.00
Mini Trapeze
Mini Trapeze
Starting at $12.00
Mini Cries of The Night
Mini Cries of The Night
Starting at $12.00

Mini Sisters
Mini Sisters
Starting at $12.00
Treasures ML
Treasures ML
Starting at $19.00

1 comment:

  1. Michele, I have Mad Tea Party and fully intend to stitch it soon. You are very talented and your work is amazing. Thank you for sharing your work with us and thank you for the interview.

    ReplyDelete

Review: Blotto, Twinks and the Intimate Review by Simon Brett

Blotto and his friend go see  Light and Frothy;   a new popular show and his friend falls for the star of the show.  After his friend is k...