Friday, February 28, 2014

An Interview with Randall Spangler of Heaven and Earth Designs


MM2: Randal, let's talk about how long you have been designing? What was your first professional design?

I began my professional career in 1977 attending art shows and drawing my first dragons.

MM2: On the average how long does it normally take you to design a piece?

A week to 10 months, depending on the size and complexity of the piece.


MM2: What do you like about bringing your work to life?

I like creating the world full of my favorite things - dragons and books and cats and chocolate chip cookies.

MM2: Your designs are fun and so full life that each detail means something special to make the whole picture. Do you have some advice for someone who wants to design and stitch professionally in cross stitch?

Do artwork that means something to you.  You have to do what comes from you and hopefully other people will connect with it.  You still have to do good composition (design) and use of colors.  You have to know the basics of what makes a good design.

MM2: What advice do you have for the stitchers who buy your designs?

I don't have any specific advice, but I totally admire anyone who does cross stitch because it looks so complicated and overwhelming.

MM2: How many works of art have you designed? Do you have a favorite design or series in which you have created?

My libraries are my favorite.  I don't know how many works of art I've created, hundreds, though. 

MM2: How many of your designs have you cross stitched?

None.  I always have more ideas than I have time to paint, so that is all I do.

MM2: Do you have a stress free place you like to visit or travel to on vacations?

The ocean

MM2: Are you currently designing a piece? What does the future hold for you in designing these wonderful works of art?

I am always designing new pieces.  I have no idea what the future holds, but I'm optimistic!

MM2: In closing is there anyone you would like to thank that has inspired you by their work or words?

I get inspired by all kinds of things.  I am always inspired by good music.  Some of my best ideas come from customers mentioning something that creates a picture in my mind.


Randal,

Thank you so much for the interview. I am so excited that you and Michele agreed as I am a big fan of both your patterns. I can spend hours looking at all the heavenandearthdesigns. 




3 comments:

  1. Randal I am going to buy and stitch some of these designs. I am starting with Literate Design. Thank you so much for the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this the other day but when I tried to post I was having issues....Meant to go back at a later time but I had forgotten! It was a very good interview, making me want to start a project ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have three of your pieces, ordered from "Dancing Dragons" catalog years ago! The one with the cats and the dragon at the computer, the one with the chocolate chip cookies, and the one with the fireflies spiraling up and the dragons looking up. That last one got bent/creased when my idiot postman forced it into the newspaper slot!! The framing guy said the crease would still show. But the catalog had gone defunct by then (by the time I could afford a frame! It came with the dark blue mat), so I told them it would add interest. I'll go look at your new site right away!
    Shalanna Collins

    ReplyDelete

Review: Blotto, Twinks and the Intimate Review by Simon Brett

Blotto and his friend go see  Light and Frothy;   a new popular show and his friend falls for the star of the show.  After his friend is k...