Thursday, February 20, 2014

Review: All Things Slip Away by Kathryn Meyer Griffith



Frank Lester was a Chicago cop who almost caught a killer - shot him, but the killer got away. Years alter, he has moved to Spookie, a small town where he grew up, trying to have a quiet retirement. Only the killer has come to Spookie and is after those he cares about.  

The town itself was a great setting.  A town that  capitalizes on its quirkiness.

I liked many elements of this story, especially Abby, Frank's girlfriend. She was an interesting character, who having had rough times, pays it forward and cares deeply.

I got distracted however, by elements re. foster care services etc... that didn't ring true to me. I think that lessened my enjoyment of the story. I actually had a conversation about it with a friend who agreed with me that things didn't make sense.  It's funny what can take you away from a story.

Also, the name, The Mud People Killer, made me smile instead of cringe in fear, the killer did not seem as developed as I would have liked and the motive to have made me invested.

All, in all, a decent story with several mild flaws IMHO.  I like Griffith's vampire stories and will read more by her, it's just this book didn't quite do it for me.

Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Blotto, Twinks and the Intimate Review by Simon Brett

Blotto and his friend go see  Light and Frothy;   a new popular show and his friend falls for the star of the show.  After his friend is k...