Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Review: Called to Justice by Edith Maxwell

Rose is a midwife and a Quaker.  She is at the fourth of July fireworks (Fourth Day Seventh Month) when a mill girl she knows is shot and killed.  A fellow Quaker is charged with the crime and she knows he is innocent so she investigates.  

I also liked the romance and its complexity with religious and social differences.

Of course, another thing was the midwife thing which makes me think of Call The Midwife every time. LOL

Richly filled with historical details, the story is engrossing and enjoyable.  It definitely deserved the Agatha nomination.

On a personal note, as I told Edith at Malice Domestic, my great-grandfather left the Quakers and the story gave a a feeling of reclaiming some of my own personal history.

Terri

1 comment:

  1. I love unusual environments for stories. How interesting that you have a distant relationship with the Quakers!

    ReplyDelete

Review: Blotto, Twinks and the Intimate Review by Simon Brett

Blotto and his friend go see  Light and Frothy;   a new popular show and his friend falls for the star of the show.  After his friend is k...