Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Guest Blogger: Alice Duncan


March 2019
Okay, so three excellent things happened to me January. It was an exceptionally amazing (and unusual) run of good luck for me, and I knew it couldn’t last. Of course, it didn’t. So February began by kicking my butt (actually, my head) with a sinus infection, my refrigerator died, and an outdoor faucet broke. Oh, and now I have some sort of gut problem probably brought about by the antibiotics I had to take for my sinus infection
Life seems much more normal now. The best thing, though, is that even though February hated me, the three good things that happened in January are still happening! The publisher of my Daisy Gumm Majesty books (ePublishing Works) will continue to publish same and will also re-publish Mercy Allcutt’s books and any new ones I write in the Angels series. And Wolfpack (recommended to me by Peter Brandvold, who gave me Lou Prophet) still aims to publish my entire backlist. My backlist includes the Pecos Valley Diamond historical cozy mystery series, featuring Annabelle Blue. The Pecos Valley books take place right smack here in Roswell, New Mexico, only I named it Rosedale in the books because I didn’t want anyone to take exception and sue me. Not that I write anything negative about Roswell. Honest.
So, yay! I’m not accustomed too good things happening in what I laughingly call my writing career, but it looks as if they’re going to happen anyway, so I’d just better get used to it, huh?
Let me see. Is there anything else to talk about? Um . . . I can’t seem to think of anything, probably because my head’s all fuzzy and my innards are in a turmoil; therefore, I’ll just post the winners of February’s give-away books:
Sue Farrell wins a copy of PECOS VALLEY REVIVAL,
Trish Rucker wins a copy of FALLEN ANGELS, and
Carol Goerz wins a copy of SIERRA RANSOM!
Congratulations, ladies! I’ll get your books to you as soon as I can.
In the meantime, if you’d like to get the latest Daisy Gumm Majesty book (SHAKEN SPIRITS, in which Daisy begins the new year, 1925, by being hit by a car and shoved into a pepper tree after watching the Tournament of Roses Parade) feel free to do so! Here’s the cover Amazon Kindle link:


It would also be lovely of you if you’d leave a review of the book. Doesn’t have to gush or anything. Just a brief “I loved this book” or “I hated this book” will suffice, although I do hope nobody actively hates it. Reviews help an author big-time, even if the author herself isn’t big-time, and I’m definitely not. Heck, even if I got rich and famous, I wouldn’t be big. I resent shrinking those four inches, for all the good that does me.
And, what the heck, after you read SHAKEN SPIRITS, feel free to pre-order SCARLET SPIRITS. Don’t have the cover art yet, but I am looking forward to seeing it. I must say that, since Mean Pete gave me Lou Prophet, I’ve had a lot of fun with the gnarly old guy. Poor Lou. He used to be such a daredevil and a womanizer and a truly dangerous bounty hunter. When he hits Pasadena in 1925, he’s old (probably even older than I am right now!), crabby, cantankerous, resentful and one-legged. Daisy and Sam both like him in spite of themselves, although Daisy objects to his unseemly language quite often. Anyway, here’s the link to SCARLET SPIRITS, if you’d like to pre-order it. I consider it a fun book. Yet another refugee from the Old West moves to Pasadena in this book and, of course, havoc ensues.

I’m looking forward to seeing what ePublishing Works will do when they re-publish my Mercy Allcutt books. They’ve done such a smashing job with Daisy; I’m sure they’ll work wonders for Mercy.
And Wolfpack! I’m so excited that my old, out-of-print books will be available in paperback format again. Wolfpack is doing wonders for Peter Brandvold’s formerly out-of-print books. I can hardly wait to see what they’ll do with mine. I really love some of the books I wrote years ago, and I’m so happy they’re going to get a new life. I want to see TEXAS LONESOME in print again. And PHOEBE’S VALENTINE! And . . . oh, heck, there are zillions of ‘em. Sigh. Every now and then, things go well. Not often, but every now and then.
Okey-dokey, so what books should Bam-Bam choose wieners for at the end of March? Let me think for a moment. Huh. According to Bam-Bam, I don’t think well, so he’s chosen March’s books for me. They are UNSETTLED SPIRITS, SPIRITS UNITED and SPIRITS UNEARTHED. If you’d like your name to be entered into Bam-Bam’s special contest doggie dish, just send your name and home address to alice@aliceduncan.net . By the way, if you’ve ever wondered what Bam-Bam looks like, here he is in all his glory (and sitting on the silver crunchy thing that's supposed to keep the dogs off the bed. It doesn't work). He’s an extremely handsome boy, but he came from a puppy mill in Big Spring, Texas. At the time, he was so skinny, you could count his ribs and vertebrae, and he’s never quite learned how to be a dog even after having lived a secure life for many years. He also started out in life as a black-and-tan wiener dog with just a little white dappling on his head. As he ages, the white seems to be creeping down around his muzzle. He’s maybe nine years old (puppy mills don’t keep great records) and I adore him. He adores me, too, but he’s not so sure about most other humans in the universe.


Iris Evans and Leon Fundenberger founded a Facebook page called DAISY DAZE just for posting stuff from the 1920s that Daisy Gumm Majesty and her family might have used or seen or gone to or shopped at. It’s fun, and if you’d like to be a member, check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/905100189878318/ .
If you’d like to visit my web page, here’s the link: http://aliceduncan.net/ . And if you’d like to be Facebook friends, please go here: https://www.facebook.com/alice.duncan.925
And I think that’s it. Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Blotto, Twinks and the Intimate Review by Simon Brett

Blotto and his friend go see  Light and Frothy;   a new popular show and his friend falls for the star of the show.  After his friend is k...