Skip to main content

Review: Bryant and May on the Loose


BRYANT & MAY on the LOOSE
Author: CHRISTOPHER FOWLER
British mystery series (A Peculiar Crimes Unit Mystery)
hard cover large type
ISBN: 978-1-60285-713-1

This case goes way back to 1940 when Mrs. Barker's home was bombed and it was discovered that her house sat on an open well. The deed to the house was never found and then we are brought up to date on the Peculiar Crimes Unit. It's been disbanned because Bryant and May have crossed the line. The others in the unit have found work but Bryant took to his bed and is waiting for death. That is until May finally gets through to Bryant's fog about a murder and about a seperate case one that will lead Bryant and May to the historic challenge of their well known careers.
They will get no help from the home office, no computers or a place to work because they do not exsist. They only have a week to solve this case that has political ties all the way to the top if they fail the unit can no longer survive. As the story nravels we find that the lives of three men have ended and that each man was decapitated.
The PCU is operating out of an abandoned warehouse and their place is not pretty. It has rats, leaks, outdated power sources and is located in one of the worst areas of London but it is near the crime scenes. Bryant has come to life and he's on a mission but first he has to learn all he can about the history of the crime scenes. No killer has ever bested him but this killer knows all, sees all and he even knows all about Bryant and May, he's cunning and what's more he's ruthless.
BRYANT & MAY on the LOOSE is a clock ticker if I've ever read one and everything means something. Christopher Fowler has left no rock unturned in his research and I marvel at the way his mind works. There is not a wasted moment or a detail too small. We go from mythology to the Catholic Church to white witches the black magic and cults all the way back in history to the orginal land owners of development and even a coffee shop has historical ties. We have hallowed grounds evil ground and the dead step by step tell their own story and it's a gruesome one.
I have never been so enchanted and repelled by a story before. The ending is truly penned by a gifted author and I almost didn't read the last little page or two thinking that the case had been resolved but I did and I am so glad I did for those last pages changed everything.
************
Pamela James

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Post

Upside Down Post:







Yurn your frown upside down into a smile as this post is for those who do not enjoy the family gatherings at Christmas. You know who you are and why but today I thought it would be fun to have a little fun.






This is a "Would you rather" reply when someone asks what you would rather do get through the holidays than spend it with family?






1. I'd rather drop a house on my sister.


2. Have a root canal


3. Eat fruitcake even the store bought kind.


4. Have my neighbor tell me about her colon in great detail


5. Dust


6. Watch my cat chase and kill a mouse


7. Hear the neighbor's dogs barking all night long.


8. Shovel snow


9. Open my prezzies and discover everyone sent me clothes two sizes too small. What is family for but to get the sizes wrong even after they call and ask.


10. I'd rather read a good murder mystery set at Christmas this would make it a killer holiday for me.


Okay you all come up with your own funny list and I can't wait to see what you have. Oh one…

An Interview with Frances Brody

MM: Frances, give us the back story on how and when you became an author?
I started by telling stories. I’d walk home from school with a friend and spin some tale that would last till the parting of our ways at the corner shop. In my twenties, I wrote stories that were published in magazines and broadcast on BBC Radio. I then wrote radio and theatre plays and scripts for television. My first novel was based on stories told to me by my mother.
MM: Tell us about what you are currently writing and what has been released?
I’m editing the eighth Kate Shackleton novel, Death at the Seaside. My setting is Whitby on the North Yorkshire coast. Whitby is where Bram Stoker has Count Dracula land in the Russian ship Demeter in the shape of a black dog. Dracula doesn’t appear in my story. But if he did, Kate Shackleton and her trusty assistants, Jim Sykes and Mrs Sugden, would deal with him.My latest release in the US is Kate Shackleton #5, Murder on a Summer’s Day. In the UK, it’s #7, A Death in the…

Review - Yellow as Legal Pads by Fran Stewart

Biscuit and Bob are on their honeymoon when Bob tries to help someone dying with resuscitation efforts that leave him poisoned and in ICU.

The story time hops a lot and introduces a lot of characters and isn't really your typical amateur sleuth asking questions all over town.

It is a series of pieces out of the life of the Holvers family and events that led to the current situation she and Bob are in.

It is interesting and complex at times but satisfying as the pieces come together.

I saw several reviews where the number of characters and time hopping frustrated readers and I admit, I had to pause a few times to make sure I was in tune to everything going on, but I thought it was fun a non-traditional which was a bit refreshing.

Terri