Skip to main content

The Spin Cycle


Do you remember the movie SHE DEVIL? It had Meryl Streep and Rosanne Barr in it and Meryl is a romance author.
She hits a very low point in her career and writes LOVE IN THE SPIN CYCLE well while I love to do laundry I have to say that writing is a lot like this chore or is it labor of love?
There are days when my writing makes me feel like I'm spinning around and around just like a dryer does or the spin cycle of the washer.
There is something to be said for consistancy and repeating the same thing daily. For authors and writers it's called a routine or a writing schedule. Applying butt to chair is the only way to accomplish your goal of finishing the book.
Again I used laundry as a comparision because the thing I hate about doing the laundry is putting the clothes away. Yet this must happen just like you MUST rewrite, revise and send the book out however just like throwing out your favorite old T-Shirt this can be painful because once it's out there for the world to see then your secret is also out and everyone knows you've written a book. Like the flawed T-Shirt then it is no longer your dirty secret and alas that is why there is stain remover and even bleach. What I mean by this is someone along the road to success in publishing your book is going to want changes and those clever quips you thought were great when you wrote them last year or nine months ago are going to be rubbed out.
In closing what I am saying is that IF you can do laundry then you can write but the writing will not remain the same book that you started writing and thank goodness we can buy new clothes to replace the old ones and by this I mean that once the book is out the door in perfect condition or flawed we can begin again and repeat the cycle. New clothes, new beginning and new ideas, plots and a fresh clean white blank computer screen or blank white paper.
I often think of 'Writer's Block' as having to try many different things to get that particularly hard stain out in my case it seems to be blood stains but you get the the idea....
So the next time you're faced with the task of doing the laundry just think about rubbing someone out and don't you feel better about the postman who brings you a rejection letter with the mail? Maybe it's that particularly annoying character you didn't know what to do with either way the spin cycle must happen in order wring out the manuscript!

Hugs,
Pamela (Who is sure this should have been revised as I never write anything right the first time)

Comments

  1. I like that analogy.. Very smart.. something to think about. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Post

Upside Down Post:







Yurn your frown upside down into a smile as this post is for those who do not enjoy the family gatherings at Christmas. You know who you are and why but today I thought it would be fun to have a little fun.






This is a "Would you rather" reply when someone asks what you would rather do get through the holidays than spend it with family?






1. I'd rather drop a house on my sister.


2. Have a root canal


3. Eat fruitcake even the store bought kind.


4. Have my neighbor tell me about her colon in great detail


5. Dust


6. Watch my cat chase and kill a mouse


7. Hear the neighbor's dogs barking all night long.


8. Shovel snow


9. Open my prezzies and discover everyone sent me clothes two sizes too small. What is family for but to get the sizes wrong even after they call and ask.


10. I'd rather read a good murder mystery set at Christmas this would make it a killer holiday for me.


Okay you all come up with your own funny list and I can't wait to see what you have. Oh one…

An Interview with Frances Brody

MM: Frances, give us the back story on how and when you became an author?
I started by telling stories. I’d walk home from school with a friend and spin some tale that would last till the parting of our ways at the corner shop. In my twenties, I wrote stories that were published in magazines and broadcast on BBC Radio. I then wrote radio and theatre plays and scripts for television. My first novel was based on stories told to me by my mother.
MM: Tell us about what you are currently writing and what has been released?
I’m editing the eighth Kate Shackleton novel, Death at the Seaside. My setting is Whitby on the North Yorkshire coast. Whitby is where Bram Stoker has Count Dracula land in the Russian ship Demeter in the shape of a black dog. Dracula doesn’t appear in my story. But if he did, Kate Shackleton and her trusty assistants, Jim Sykes and Mrs Sugden, would deal with him.My latest release in the US is Kate Shackleton #5, Murder on a Summer’s Day. In the UK, it’s #7, A Death in the…

Review - Yellow as Legal Pads by Fran Stewart

Biscuit and Bob are on their honeymoon when Bob tries to help someone dying with resuscitation efforts that leave him poisoned and in ICU.

The story time hops a lot and introduces a lot of characters and isn't really your typical amateur sleuth asking questions all over town.

It is a series of pieces out of the life of the Holvers family and events that led to the current situation she and Bob are in.

It is interesting and complex at times but satisfying as the pieces come together.

I saw several reviews where the number of characters and time hopping frustrated readers and I admit, I had to pause a few times to make sure I was in tune to everything going on, but I thought it was fun a non-traditional which was a bit refreshing.

Terri