Skip to main content

Buddy Reads

Buddy Reads are something I really enjoy.  For those who don't know how they work, two or more people decide they are going to read a book together and discuss it as they go.  Usually they set numbers of chapters (for example, intro through ch 4, chapters 5-8 etc...) and comment via email or groups or whatever they choose.  By making sure everyone knows the chapters they are discussing, it prevents most spoilers.


So why do I love them?  Because I can comment as I go along instead of either making notes to discuss later or not remembering what I wanted to discuss much later after the book is finished.  This esp. works well with mysteries as well because you have someone to guess killers, plot points whatever along the way.  It is much easier to say don't you think Ed is acting suspiciously when he does that -- WHILE you are reading it, than after a book is done saying well, I thought Ed was a suspect for a while because....  By THEN you already know who did it and why and maybe don't care as much about Ed's weird behavior. LOL

Plus I tend to find that there is MUCH more discussion with a buddy read than after a book is finished and people just make more general comments about it.  Like, I really liked Jane or it was a a satisfying read.  Not that those comments are bad, it is just (to me anyway) more fun to bounce ideas and share emotions with someone (or several people) along the way.

Now the problems with buddy reads mostly occur when different paced readers pair up and one zips through the book in a couple days and is on to another book while the other person is playing catch up.  Not too many great discussions that way.  But if the people involved can agree with the pace and just HAVE FUN with it, it can be a very great time.  And of course, you likely learn more about your partner(s) as you go, than in a big group discussion setting which is a nice bonus as well.

So for those who enjoy them, let me know if you want to give them a try sometime or pair up with a friend or two and try it yourself.  The nice thing is you don't have to be there in person, technology makes it easy.  Who knows, maybe I'll try one sometime with SKYPE.  Never know...

Pam - we need to do one again as well - it has been a long long time!

Terri

Comments

  1. I would, but I have 5 group reads a month already for online groups. It's a challenge on occasion. I do agree that they can be a lot of fun, but they can also be a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done buddy reads before and they are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have been my most successful partner thus far Terri! I am a slower reader and found that we kept right up with each other! Betsy's probably ready to kill me right now because I just can't get into reading the book she wanted to buddy read...Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson...it seems extremely wordy to me!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Post

Upside Down Post:







Yurn your frown upside down into a smile as this post is for those who do not enjoy the family gatherings at Christmas. You know who you are and why but today I thought it would be fun to have a little fun.






This is a "Would you rather" reply when someone asks what you would rather do get through the holidays than spend it with family?






1. I'd rather drop a house on my sister.


2. Have a root canal


3. Eat fruitcake even the store bought kind.


4. Have my neighbor tell me about her colon in great detail


5. Dust


6. Watch my cat chase and kill a mouse


7. Hear the neighbor's dogs barking all night long.


8. Shovel snow


9. Open my prezzies and discover everyone sent me clothes two sizes too small. What is family for but to get the sizes wrong even after they call and ask.


10. I'd rather read a good murder mystery set at Christmas this would make it a killer holiday for me.


Okay you all come up with your own funny list and I can't wait to see what you have. Oh one…

An Interview with Frances Brody

MM: Frances, give us the back story on how and when you became an author?
I started by telling stories. I’d walk home from school with a friend and spin some tale that would last till the parting of our ways at the corner shop. In my twenties, I wrote stories that were published in magazines and broadcast on BBC Radio. I then wrote radio and theatre plays and scripts for television. My first novel was based on stories told to me by my mother.
MM: Tell us about what you are currently writing and what has been released?
I’m editing the eighth Kate Shackleton novel, Death at the Seaside. My setting is Whitby on the North Yorkshire coast. Whitby is where Bram Stoker has Count Dracula land in the Russian ship Demeter in the shape of a black dog. Dracula doesn’t appear in my story. But if he did, Kate Shackleton and her trusty assistants, Jim Sykes and Mrs Sugden, would deal with him.My latest release in the US is Kate Shackleton #5, Murder on a Summer’s Day. In the UK, it’s #7, A Death in the…

Review - Yellow as Legal Pads by Fran Stewart

Biscuit and Bob are on their honeymoon when Bob tries to help someone dying with resuscitation efforts that leave him poisoned and in ICU.

The story time hops a lot and introduces a lot of characters and isn't really your typical amateur sleuth asking questions all over town.

It is a series of pieces out of the life of the Holvers family and events that led to the current situation she and Bob are in.

It is interesting and complex at times but satisfying as the pieces come together.

I saw several reviews where the number of characters and time hopping frustrated readers and I admit, I had to pause a few times to make sure I was in tune to everything going on, but I thought it was fun a non-traditional which was a bit refreshing.

Terri