Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Buddy Reads

Buddy Reads are something I really enjoy.  For those who don't know how they work, two or more people decide they are going to read a book together and discuss it as they go.  Usually they set numbers of chapters (for example, intro through ch 4, chapters 5-8 etc...) and comment via email or groups or whatever they choose.  By making sure everyone knows the chapters they are discussing, it prevents most spoilers.


So why do I love them?  Because I can comment as I go along instead of either making notes to discuss later or not remembering what I wanted to discuss much later after the book is finished.  This esp. works well with mysteries as well because you have someone to guess killers, plot points whatever along the way.  It is much easier to say don't you think Ed is acting suspiciously when he does that -- WHILE you are reading it, than after a book is done saying well, I thought Ed was a suspect for a while because....  By THEN you already know who did it and why and maybe don't care as much about Ed's weird behavior. LOL

Plus I tend to find that there is MUCH more discussion with a buddy read than after a book is finished and people just make more general comments about it.  Like, I really liked Jane or it was a a satisfying read.  Not that those comments are bad, it is just (to me anyway) more fun to bounce ideas and share emotions with someone (or several people) along the way.

Now the problems with buddy reads mostly occur when different paced readers pair up and one zips through the book in a couple days and is on to another book while the other person is playing catch up.  Not too many great discussions that way.  But if the people involved can agree with the pace and just HAVE FUN with it, it can be a very great time.  And of course, you likely learn more about your partner(s) as you go, than in a big group discussion setting which is a nice bonus as well.

So for those who enjoy them, let me know if you want to give them a try sometime or pair up with a friend or two and try it yourself.  The nice thing is you don't have to be there in person, technology makes it easy.  Who knows, maybe I'll try one sometime with SKYPE.  Never know...

Pam - we need to do one again as well - it has been a long long time!

Terri

3 comments:

  1. I would, but I have 5 group reads a month already for online groups. It's a challenge on occasion. I do agree that they can be a lot of fun, but they can also be a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done buddy reads before and they are fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have been my most successful partner thus far Terri! I am a slower reader and found that we kept right up with each other! Betsy's probably ready to kill me right now because I just can't get into reading the book she wanted to buddy read...Someone Else's Love Story by Joshilyn Jackson...it seems extremely wordy to me!

    ReplyDelete

Review: Blotto, Twinks and the Intimate Review by Simon Brett

Blotto and his friend go see  Light and Frothy;   a new popular show and his friend falls for the star of the show.  After his friend is k...