Friday, June 12, 2015

An Interview with Carolyn Haines

Interview With Carolyn Haines:

By Pamela James

MM2: Carolyn, how many books have you written? How many genres do you write ?

I've published 70 books. I read all kinds of books so I write in a lot of genres. Mystery/suspense/horror as well as general fiction, nonfiction, short fiction, romantic mysteries, crime fiction and humor.

MM2: Are you a member of any writer's groups?

I belong to HWA, MWA, and a small critique group.

MM2: Tell us about your latest mysteries? Are you currently writing a book?

Bone to Be Wild, the 15th Sarah Booth Delaney Mississippi Delta mystery, just came out with St. Martin's Press. I'm working on the next Sarah Booth book, and also a historical/paranormal/mystery. I have so many ideas and not enough time to get to all of them.


MM2: What is your typical writing schedule?

Depends on the season. I like to write in the middle of the day in the summer because it's so hot and humid outside. In the winter I like to write very early in the morning so I can get out and take care of the animals when the sun is out and nice. I split my writing day when I'm working on two different kinds of books at the same time, which I don't mind doing.

MM2: Do you re-read some of your favorite books?

I find I re-read a lot of the children's classics I loved so much. And there are some writers who compel me to visit the world they create again and again. It's like a visit to a place I love with an old friend. So yes, I do re-read.

MM2: I know you love animals so tell us about your pets?

I run Good Fortune Farm Refuge (I founded the 501(c)3 rescue). I have 5 horses, 8 dogs, 9 cats living here, and we also administer a Banfield Charities basic vet care grant that helps low income families get shots, exams, etc., for their pets. This is our third year to work with Banfield and it is a terrific program to help people who love their pets but are having a hard time in this slow economy. We also had a spay/neuter grant funded by the sale of cookbooks, which my friends helped me create. Bone-A-Fied Delicious, Recipes from Zinnia's Finest Chefs. We have currently sold out.

MM2: After a long writing day how do you decompress?

I catch up on emails and sometimes watch a show I've recorded earlier. Or read. Or have a gab session with some friends.


MM2: Now for reader fun....what is your favorite movie, meal and drink?

I love "The Wizard of Oz." Probably because of the wonderful childhood memories linked with it. "Silence of the Lambs" is so well constructed, I watch it to learn. My tastes change, though. I would never have thought I'd say I really liked "Fifty First Dates" but there is a sweetness to the movie that always makes me smile.

MM2: Is there anything special you would like to say to someone?

Thank you to all the readers who support writers like me. Without readers, would writers write? I love the process of writing, but I write for an audience. I want to share my stories. If readers didn't buy the books, the publishers would stop publishing them. I think readers should know they are such an important part of the publishing dynamic.

MM2: Lastly, what would Jitty, like us to know about you? How about Sarah Booth Delaney?

Jitty thinks I work too much. She tells me all the time that I should get out and kick up my heels. And I agree. As to Sarah Booth, Jitty knows her far too well. She knows Sarah Booth will never be able to resist taking up for the underdog or defending the innocent. She will eventually learn to balance her "missions" and her home life, but there are a lot of adventures between here and there.


Carolyn Haines is the award-winning author of the Sarah Booth Delaney Mississippi Delta mystery series. The latest title is BONE TO BE WILD, the 15th book in the series. She is currently at work on the next Sarah Booth story. She also writes ghost stories as R.B. Chesterton. Learn more about her at Carolyn Haines - Home  and sign up for her newsletter.


image





Preview by Yahoo




1 comment:

  1. Carolyn - I have loved this series since the first one I read. I get to laugh out loud with Jitty's comments! Am curious about the horror though - I love horror and never have seen yours?

    ReplyDelete

Review: Blotto, Twinks and the Intimate Review by Simon Brett

Blotto and his friend go see  Light and Frothy;   a new popular show and his friend falls for the star of the show.  After his friend is k...