Skip to main content

Pam's Top Picks-Part Two of 2015

7. MURDER in the PAPERBACK PARLOR by Ellery Adams
Jane Steward run a book themed resort. This time she is organizing a Valentine's Day Regency Readers theme.
What Jane hasn't planned on is that a famous talented author is murdered.
She also had no idea how cut throat the world of romance could be.
She has plenty of help finding the murderer. her book club "The Cover Girls" are on the case. Jane's family and Storyton Hall family are also a huge help but nothing could prepare her for what happens next...
Ellery Adams has my admiration for the whole concept of this series. Titles and covers are cozy, the family I want to be a part of an would love to stay at the retreat and write my books there all day.

8. Booked for Trouble by Eva Gates, is every library lovers dream come true. Lucy Richardson has a dream job. She lives and works at the local lighthouse that is indeed the town library.
Lucy has moved away from most of her family and loves the fact she no longer has many family demands. The island lighthouse library keeps her busy, the island is good for her soul, she loves her life.
Then chaos strikes in the form of her mother. Her mother surprised her with a visit and has no plans to leave. The worst part is that her mother seems troubled and worried. When stolen jewelry is found on her mother. Lucy knows her mother is innocent. Since her mother grew up and moved away from Bodie Island some people that she once went to school with and knew have long memories and short tempers.
When her mother is baited into a public argument with a woman who was once an old school mate this bad enough. However when the woman turns up murdered in the parking lot outside the Bodie Lighthouse her mother becomes suspect number one.
Eva knows how to weave a plot and her characters reel us in hook, line and sinker.

9. the Longest Yard Sale by Sherry Harris For one day Sarah Winston turns Ellington, Massachusetts into to die for town yard sale. When a murder happens she is furious that it happened on her watch.
Trying to find out who murdered him is more than she bargained for and Sarah loves a bargain. This mystery series has something for everyone. It made the cut because I adore that Sherry Harris knows her way around a plot, a bargain, she includes practical tips for having a garage sale. Let's not forget that she also knows about military life and what secrets others people's treasures can clue us in to knowing about them. Couple all of this with clues, lies, cheating husbands, cheating wives, town managers, the mob and a double dose of strangers who don't seem to fit into the New England lifestyle.

10. Aunt Dimity and the Wishing Well by Nancy Atherton,
A young man comes to the village to settle his late-uncle's affairs. A wishing well is discovered and soon the village residents all have their wishes granted. Soon people are making life changing decisions. This leads to bad tempers, gossip, stolen objects and much more. Laurie is sure there is a logical reason behind all of the magic.


Okay now I have to say that on Monday (later in the day) I will post my non-fiction, non cozy books and the how to book list of 2015.

Hugs,
Pam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Post

Upside Down Post:







Yurn your frown upside down into a smile as this post is for those who do not enjoy the family gatherings at Christmas. You know who you are and why but today I thought it would be fun to have a little fun.






This is a "Would you rather" reply when someone asks what you would rather do get through the holidays than spend it with family?






1. I'd rather drop a house on my sister.


2. Have a root canal


3. Eat fruitcake even the store bought kind.


4. Have my neighbor tell me about her colon in great detail


5. Dust


6. Watch my cat chase and kill a mouse


7. Hear the neighbor's dogs barking all night long.


8. Shovel snow


9. Open my prezzies and discover everyone sent me clothes two sizes too small. What is family for but to get the sizes wrong even after they call and ask.


10. I'd rather read a good murder mystery set at Christmas this would make it a killer holiday for me.


Okay you all come up with your own funny list and I can't wait to see what you have. Oh one…

An Interview with Frances Brody

MM: Frances, give us the back story on how and when you became an author?
I started by telling stories. I’d walk home from school with a friend and spin some tale that would last till the parting of our ways at the corner shop. In my twenties, I wrote stories that were published in magazines and broadcast on BBC Radio. I then wrote radio and theatre plays and scripts for television. My first novel was based on stories told to me by my mother.
MM: Tell us about what you are currently writing and what has been released?
I’m editing the eighth Kate Shackleton novel, Death at the Seaside. My setting is Whitby on the North Yorkshire coast. Whitby is where Bram Stoker has Count Dracula land in the Russian ship Demeter in the shape of a black dog. Dracula doesn’t appear in my story. But if he did, Kate Shackleton and her trusty assistants, Jim Sykes and Mrs Sugden, would deal with him.My latest release in the US is Kate Shackleton #5, Murder on a Summer’s Day. In the UK, it’s #7, A Death in the…

Review - Yellow as Legal Pads by Fran Stewart

Biscuit and Bob are on their honeymoon when Bob tries to help someone dying with resuscitation efforts that leave him poisoned and in ICU.

The story time hops a lot and introduces a lot of characters and isn't really your typical amateur sleuth asking questions all over town.

It is a series of pieces out of the life of the Holvers family and events that led to the current situation she and Bob are in.

It is interesting and complex at times but satisfying as the pieces come together.

I saw several reviews where the number of characters and time hopping frustrated readers and I admit, I had to pause a few times to make sure I was in tune to everything going on, but I thought it was fun a non-traditional which was a bit refreshing.

Terri