Friday, May 20, 2016

An Interview with Miss Willie

Interview with Miss Willie

MM: Willie give us the backstory on when and how you became the Parsons Public Library Children’s Librarian?
WM: I became the Children’s Librarian in October 2008.

MM: What changes have you seen happen in the children’s library through the years?
WM: The children’s room have two internet computers instead of one internet computer in order for the children to use one of the internet computer they and a parent or guardian must first sign an internet agreement. Also have an education game computer and ABC mouse is install on the internet computers. The children or a parent can check out a Launch Pad Tablet that they can only use in the library. The children room has a music keyboard that they can play. The children’s room has a pet bird named Tweety.

MM: What fall events do you have planned for the children?
WM: Children’s Book and Movie Discussion for ages 8 to 11 we just finish The Chronicle of Narnia: The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis and The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis. I do some Family Morning Movies for when the children are out of school. Also did easy knitting with straws.

MM: What are some of the most popular children’s books in the different age groups?
WM: Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
Dork Diaries by Rachel Renee Russell
Magic Tree House by Mary Pope Osborne
Junie B. Jones by Barbara Park
Thomas the Train by Awdry
Pinkalicous by Victoria Kann
Anything Star Wars
Look and Find Books

MM: Winter is coming up and I bet you have a lot of good things happening for this winter?
WM: Children’s Book and Movie Discussion for ages 8 to 11 we are going to do Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie, Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers, and The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. A new club called Bedtime Math’s Crazy 8s Club that will meet once a week after school there will be two age groups K-2nd and 3rd-5th grade. A new program called 1000 books before kindergarten. Will have a couple of family morning movies for when the children or out of school and also some children crafting programs.

MM: Okay for some fun get to know you questions. What is your favorite meal, movies, dessert, holiday, place to vacation and song/s?
WM: My favorite meal which I don’t get to often is T-bone steak, crab legs, shrimp, bake potato, salad, and Texas toast.
My favorite movies are Magic Mike XXL, The Longest Ride, The Avengers, and watching the Rio movies with my nephew.
My favorite dessert is chocolate cake with peanut butter icing but mostly anything that is chocolate.
My favorite holidays are Christmas and the Fourth of July.
My favorite place to vacation still dreaming of going to Jamaica. Pretty much anywhere I go as long as it’s not in the state of Kansas.
My favorite songs  Still Standing by Monica, Stay Down by Mary J. Blige, Trust and Believe by Keyshia Cole, Successful by Trey Songz, Let Me Love You by Mario, and Suffocate by J. Holiday

MM: Be our tour guide and tell what you like about living in Parsons and southeast Kansas?
WM: Why I like living in Parsons the town is small easy to get around not a lot of traffic and most of all my family is here.

MM: What do you read when you’re not reading young adult or children’s books? As an Adult do you have favorite adult authors whose books you like to read?
WM: No I don’t have a favorite author it just depend on what kind of mood I’m in and what catches my eye at the movement. Right now I’m reading The Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder by Jo Ann Fluke. This is the first book in the Hannah Swenson series that was put up on the Hallmark Movie and Mysteries channel that I start to watch and was unable to watch the rest of the movie so I decide to read the book to see how it ends. So right now I’m hooked on this author and I plan to read the rest of this series.

MM: Do you have some favorite workshops or conferences you like to attend?
WM: I look forward to the summer reading workshops and the summer reading craft workshops these workshops help me to plan my summer reading programs. I enjoy going to workshops and conferences that are gear towards the youth.

MM: Can you share with us some of the themes for 2016?
WM: The 2016 summer reading theme for children is On Your March Get Set Read!

MM: Lastly what are you looking forward to in 2016?
WM: The summer reading program and the Bathtime Math’s Crazy 8’s programs. Mostly just looking forward to have fun with the children and having fun and exciting programs that the children will enjoy.











1 comment:

  1. Willie,
    Was there pictures with the interview?
    Anyway I am happy to this interview. Willie you an amazing children's librarian. Our library is lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete

Review: Blotto, Twinks and the Intimate Review by Simon Brett

Blotto and his friend go see  Light and Frothy;   a new popular show and his friend falls for the star of the show.  After his friend is k...