Skip to main content

Reivew - The Diva Haunts the house

The Diva Haunts The House by Krista Davis is the fifth book in the “Domestic Diva” mystery series. Publisher: Berkley Prime Crime, September 2011

Domestic diva Sophie Winston is getting into the holiday spirit, and her decorations for a community haunted house are so good, it’s scary. Not to be outdone, rival domestic diva Natasha is throwing a spooktacular Halloween party at her house. But when Sophie arrives, she discovers one of Natasha’s guest dead in a hair-raising Halloween display, and a pale, fanged partygoer feeling the scene.

The cause of death is not immediately apparent, but the victim does have two puncture wounds on his neck. While Sophie’s boyfriend, homicide detective Wolf, investigates, rumors start flying faster than witches on broomsticks. Could the killer be a real vampire—the same one rumored to have lived in Sophie’s haunted house back when it was a boarding house! Good thing a domestic diva never runs out of garlic.

What a fun read where everything that could happen during Halloween, does. All Sophie wanted to do was present a spooky Haunted House for the community and celebrate her niece’s birthday, but instead she gets a dead body, talks of vampire, ghosts and things that go bump in the night. Weeding through all of this, Sophie had to contend with two rambunctious teenagers who hoped to see a spirit or two. With preparation of scrumptious meals interspersed with crime solving, this tale will have you wishing you were there with Sophie as she and her friends unwrapped a killer’s identity. This wonderful story boasts a well-carved mystery, a lovable cast of characters and a feel-good atmosphere in this charming and entertaining series that includes mouth-watering recipes.




--Dru

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Upside Down Post

Upside Down Post:







Yurn your frown upside down into a smile as this post is for those who do not enjoy the family gatherings at Christmas. You know who you are and why but today I thought it would be fun to have a little fun.






This is a "Would you rather" reply when someone asks what you would rather do get through the holidays than spend it with family?






1. I'd rather drop a house on my sister.


2. Have a root canal


3. Eat fruitcake even the store bought kind.


4. Have my neighbor tell me about her colon in great detail


5. Dust


6. Watch my cat chase and kill a mouse


7. Hear the neighbor's dogs barking all night long.


8. Shovel snow


9. Open my prezzies and discover everyone sent me clothes two sizes too small. What is family for but to get the sizes wrong even after they call and ask.


10. I'd rather read a good murder mystery set at Christmas this would make it a killer holiday for me.


Okay you all come up with your own funny list and I can't wait to see what you have. Oh one…

An Interview with Frances Brody

MM: Frances, give us the back story on how and when you became an author?
I started by telling stories. I’d walk home from school with a friend and spin some tale that would last till the parting of our ways at the corner shop. In my twenties, I wrote stories that were published in magazines and broadcast on BBC Radio. I then wrote radio and theatre plays and scripts for television. My first novel was based on stories told to me by my mother.
MM: Tell us about what you are currently writing and what has been released?
I’m editing the eighth Kate Shackleton novel, Death at the Seaside. My setting is Whitby on the North Yorkshire coast. Whitby is where Bram Stoker has Count Dracula land in the Russian ship Demeter in the shape of a black dog. Dracula doesn’t appear in my story. But if he did, Kate Shackleton and her trusty assistants, Jim Sykes and Mrs Sugden, would deal with him.My latest release in the US is Kate Shackleton #5, Murder on a Summer’s Day. In the UK, it’s #7, A Death in the…

Review - Yellow as Legal Pads by Fran Stewart

Biscuit and Bob are on their honeymoon when Bob tries to help someone dying with resuscitation efforts that leave him poisoned and in ICU.

The story time hops a lot and introduces a lot of characters and isn't really your typical amateur sleuth asking questions all over town.

It is a series of pieces out of the life of the Holvers family and events that led to the current situation she and Bob are in.

It is interesting and complex at times but satisfying as the pieces come together.

I saw several reviews where the number of characters and time hopping frustrated readers and I admit, I had to pause a few times to make sure I was in tune to everything going on, but I thought it was fun a non-traditional which was a bit refreshing.

Terri