Thursday, December 1, 2011

Guest Blogger - Alice Duncan


Merciful heavens, another year shot to heck! Where does the time go? The worst part is that the older I get, the faster time flies. Doesn’t seem fair somehow.

But that’s neither here nor there. For some mayhemly reason, I never did see my November blog get posted, so I’ll recap it here.

I spent two weeks in California! Yay! Got to see my younger daughter, my younger grandson, and a whole bunch of friends I left behind when I moved to the wilds of Roswell, New Mexico. What’s more, I got to eat a whole bunch of good ethnic food that Roswellians don’t get to eat unless they…well, go to California, I guess. East Indian. Middle Eastern. Japanese. Yum. I guess all that chow will have to hold me until the next time I get to California. That was definitely a magical trip.

During November another magical thing happened. My little novel, PECOS VALLEY REVIVAL, became a finalist in the historical novel category of the New Mexico Book of the Year awards. Mind you, I didn’t even know there was such a thing until Mike Orenduff, who won the award in the mystery category last year, entered my book. His book, THE POT THIEF WHO STUDIED EINSTEIN, finaled in the mystery category. Neither Mike nor I won, but a book I edited did! What’s more, it’s a really good book, called THE FAERIE HILLS, by Susan McDuffie, and I suggest you all go out and read it!

As for mayhem, I actually wasn’t bothered by much mayhem during October and November. The worst thing that happened to me was that my elderly wiener dog, Skipper, crossed the Rainbow Bridge. It was his time, and he was kind enough to pass over at home sometime between Sunday night and Monday morning, so I didn’t have to make the painful decision to have him put to sleep, which I’d known I’d have to do on Monday. So thanks, Skipper.

I’m not suffering from a paucity of dogs, however. The traumatized duo I’ve been fostering, Bella and Bam-Bam, have become permanent residents of the Duncan herd. Sigh. Sometimes I don’t think I’ll ever win this doggie game. But at least Bella and Bam-Bam are happy.

If you have time, please stop by my web site, which is all decorated for Christmas. There you can see the book I’ll be giving away in December, GENTEEL SPIRITS. You can also read excerpts from the rest of my zillion and three books there. The URL is www.aliceduncan.net. And thank you!


9 comments:

  1. I agree Alice - this year has gone in a blink! But it has had some lovely moments for me as well!

    Nice of Mike to enter your book along with his. Its nice to see how writers support each other. Of course, its just more items to add to my TBR pile! LOL

    As for the dogs, looks like the universe is telling you something!

    Hugs!

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your dog, Alice, but glad he passed at home.

    And congratulations on becoming a finalist! That must feel fantastic.

    To all who'd like to read Genteel Spirits, I can tell you it's a great read. I always love Daisy's antics and cant' wait to get my hands on the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Terri and Brenda! I think somebody implanted a dachshund magnet in me at birth, Terri. And I SO appreciate it when people like Daisy, Brenda. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice, You are so sweet to recue dogs. My daughter did that for a while with English pointers, but she had to stop due to her health. Probably I could never let a dog go to someone else if I tried fostering and there I'd be with a gazillion dogs and an irate husband. He's the one who--knowing my somewhat whimsical nature--keeps me from making that sort of huge mistake. Everytime I fail to listen to him, I regret it later, but don't tell him, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time does go to fast and it is frustrating waiting to hear whether or not a novel is accepted for publication. Being a writer is not for the faint of heart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Still dreaming we might rescue another dog sometime. The doctor says I should walk more--would be so much more fun with four-legged friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, boy, I can relate to your daughter's problems, Caroline. Some days my back and arthritis are so bad, it's all I can do to walk the little wieners -- but I do it. Better that than ending up in a wheelchair, I reckon. And yes, Sheila, walking is EVER so much more fun with a four-legged friend. However, I walk five of them, which takes some of the pleasure out of it :-)

    You're right, Jacquie, although I consider myself faint of heart, and I still write. Can't seem to help myself, dang it. Next life I want to come back as somebody who makes money.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Alice and your precious dogs :-) I always enjoy a visit with you and reading about what's going on with you and them. Precious Skipper, I'm afraid we'll lose our dear little Chihuahua, Penny soon too. Our ferocious, loving little 4 in. high watch dog. :-)
    Love and best,
    Jackie Griffey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Jackie, I'm so sorry about Penny. It hurts to lose one, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Review: Blotto, Twinks and the Intimate Review by Simon Brett

Blotto and his friend go see  Light and Frothy;   a new popular show and his friend falls for the star of the show.  After his friend is k...